Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Assignment 2

As far away as you can be, for as long as it can take, you always return to where you really feel at home.
It reminds me when I went to a foreign country where I just knew how to speak the language but I didn´t know anything else about it and where friends were nowhere to be found. I got a job in a local military academy and started to work as fast as I could to fulfill the void that was always present in my mind. It is something that no matter how hard you try, will never go away.
As the days went by, I got my work at the academy. I started to make friends and started to enjoy my time there. I made two great friends named Dan and Nathan who were those people so great that you can call them “friends for life”.
One day, I got ill and was unable to work, so I received a phone call from Dan to know how I was, what was happening and if everything was fine with me because they weren’t used to my absence at work. I told him not to worry about anything because I was just a little bit ill and the day after that I was going to work again as usual. That day, at home, not my real home, because I was abroad, I got homesick and started wondering about my grandparents and my brother who were in Portugal. As I thought about them I started to cry. It was one of those moments that you burst into tears. I really missed them so much at that moment. I felt scared because I was alone, by myself with my beloved ones far, far away.
After six months and a half, I was done with it. I couldn’t take it anymore. I had to see my family again, just to be with them. In the same moment, I packed up my things, I said goodbye to my “friends” and I went back to Portugal. When I arrived at the airport he feeling of anxiety was increasing because I was closer to be with my family.
As I had the first glimpse of them I ran towards them. And when I felt them, nothing else mattered.
The void, that once was empty, was now filled. My face expressed all the happiness I was feeling. I couldn’t believe I was at home, for good. I knew I was ok when I was far from everything but that was nothing compared to the happiness I felt when I hugged my family.
Happiness can only be found when you really, really feel at home you can never be as happy as you are at your real home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home