Sunday, January 28, 2007

Carapace

What should I do? Should I call him back and tell him that I am in love with him and I am simply devoted to him and only him? I really don´t know what to do. I don´t want to marry this mysterious Anura Perera, let alone go live with him in Australia. For all I know he could be some fat, bald, sweaty old man. Only time will tell. These were my thoughts two years ago when I hung up with Vijay. I met Anura. He got to my house about an hour after speaking to Vijay. He was everything that Amma wanted for me. He could give me a great life, full of opportunities. So I went with him to Australia. And now here I am, two years later, wishing I had never left home, wishing I had never left Vijay. This is my life now. I stay at home telling the maids what to do and I see myself transforming into an egocentric housewife. I go to the mall every day and I go to the hairdresser every week. But, even with all the things that I have in my life. Something is missing and I don´t quite know what it is. I feel empty. Amma is coming to visit me today. I´ll be going to the airport soon to pick her up. She says she has a surprise for me. To be honest, nothing surprises me anymore. Anura is a great man but he does not love me and I do not love him. He is my partner, but he is more like a business associate than a husband. I´m waiting at the airport. Anura took the afternoon off and is holding some mysterious envelope. Finally, I see Amma. Someone is behind her. Someone tall. It can´t possibly be Vijay, my eyes must be fooling me. It is Vijay. What is going on here? Amma gives me a big hug and I look at Anura and he has a smile on his face and hands me the envelope. In it I find the divorce papers. "I´ve missed you," said Vijay. "And...I love you." I simply hugged him and I hugged Anura for knowing what I really wanted. Two weeks later I was back at home. The emptiness faded and I felt complete. I am happy now and I am happy that Amma accepted Vijay for who he was and not how big his bank account was. I´m working now. I have no maids. There are no more daily trips to the mall and weekly trips to the hairdresser. Every morning I wake up and I am so grateful for having Vijay. He makes my day when he smiles. It has been ten years. I´ve been through many hard times with Vijay. I have two marvelous children and a decent home in the outskirts of the city. I have a garden with flowers and a white picket fence. I am not rich but I am happy and even after all these years, I feel that I am still in love with Vijay and so happy that he came to surprise me when I was living in Australia. I am not rich in money, but I am wealthy in a way that no one can explain. I have been with Vijay for 30 years now. The children went off to University. Vijay bought a house on the beach. We are atill in love. He makes dinner on the beach every night. My life is complete. I could not ask for more. Vijay still makes tht special dish of his, fantastic, with those big prawns.

1 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger AR said...

A look towards a beautful future, full of positivism and full of truth, honesty and sincerity.

Sounds like a recipe for your own life :-)
Allyson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home