Monday, January 22, 2007

Wikipedia - corrections

Bernardo Sassetti is a Portuguese pianist he was born in Lisbon in 1970 and his career started in 1987. Since then he has completed many projects and he is recognized by playing his jazz music and performing in many duets with some well-known celebrities, in many countries, and some of them participated in Sassetti’s albums.
His passion on classic music started when he was nine, then all of a sudden he knew he wanted to learn how to play classic piano. In order to learn how to play piano he went to a professional school called “Academia dos Amadores de Música” and also had the opportunity to improve his skills and became an expert. He dedicates himself deeply into jazz music but he has “other passions”.
It is confirmed that he is notorious for being skillful. He writes music for the cinema and he is a photographer, although he hasn’t yet become an expert on that matter.
He continues to play his music at some local clubs and at innumerable festivals and obviously the crucial element of Sassetti’s music is absolutely the jazz music. It is well-known that in Portugal Jazz music isn’t valued like it is in America; jazz has a long path to go through. However, at 37 year-old he already has released many albums. His first album was released in April 94. Since then he has been recording his work in Portuguese and in English. Recently, about four years ago, he has been on a project: producing some music for the cinema. Sassetti said in an interview what he has been doing and why he has been devoting himself into cinema’s music, “The cinema fascinates me. (…) I need the image, the colour and the face of the characters to compose the music”.
His records: "Ao vivo no Guimarães jazz"; "Dundumbanza"; "Tibiri tabara"; "Impressões" and "Olhar"; "Passagem"; "What love is"; "Ecos de África"; "Sons do Brasil"; "Mundos"; "Fragments (Of Cinematic Illusion)"; "Entropé"; “4 Movimentos Soltos"; "Indigo"; "Livre" and “Ascent” were his latest solo music. Furthermore, he was also nominated for The Mercury Awards 95.
It is concluded that Portuguese people appears to be more into rock music and hip-hop than into jazz. Even so, Bernado Sassetti had never given up on his music and he still plays.



Filipa Pedro

6 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger Psithurism said...

When I was younger I took piano classes and how I regret not going through with it until the end, the truth is that I didn´t like my teacher, Peter. There is this really nice Jazz bar in Lisbon, it´s an underground bar...if only I could remember the name of it. The last time I went there I spoke to the saxophone player, Christopher, who lives in England and his music was amazing. And you are right, many people do not appreciate Jazz music, at least not yet, for what it actually is.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Rui Freitas said...

if you like sassetti you really have to see the film Alice, to wich he made the sound track, did you know he is married to beatriz batarda, the best portuguese actress! she is in Alice too.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger thewildstyle (por Filipa Correia e Catarina Dias) said...

Thanks Pipa for introducing me to this theme, I really don't appreciate Jazz music, it's just not my thing, but I enjoy listen to great pianists playing classic music as Beethoven and Chopin. Here you show me a portuguese pianist and so I know that I'm going to search more information about him and his style.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Filipa Pedro said...

really mary? you took piano classes? that's great. it's a pity you had given up. yeah, I've heard about that jazz bar but I never had the opportunity to went. for sure, I will take into consideration your hint ;) * I hope you keep in touch with Jazz music.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Filipa Pedro said...

Filipa I'm glad you are curious about this Portuguese pianist. We have great musicians. to bad they are unkown by Portuguese people. but I hope it will change one day. I love Jazz, however I must confess myself to you that it's a recent passion (about 4 years).For me Jazz is really something, I can't describe it...it must be felt.
**

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger thewildstyle (por Filipa Correia e Catarina Dias) said...

Really Filipa? Do you really like Jazz? What a surprise! I hadn't a clue, and as we say "gostos, não se discutem"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home