Thursday, January 11, 2007

Carapace - Romesh Gunesekera

Two years after she had left Sri Lanka the same old known number had been in her heart and mind. She left her life behind and now it is scaring her to death in her dreams. Her life changed. Something is missing and she understood that not so long ago.
Australia, where she is living, is really wondrous. Her mother, the person who had convinced her to marry Anura Perera, double-crossed her. Her mother had seduced her daughter’s husband. Anura committed the only crime she considered the worst one. Now she knows what had been happening right under her nose.
She became having nightmares with Anura and Vijay. ‘Was this a dream?’ the puzzle is completed. She doesn’t have a mother.
The thoughts came right in her head. She always wanted someone to have a good time, someone who could hold her, talk to her, understanding one… She wondered if Anura is this kind of person. Not Anura neither Vijay. They are men.
Oh! Men… All she needs is someone to whom she could give herself but both disappointed her.
After she had had her head spinning around like crazy she took a decision, a big one. ‘If someone deserves me that someone will be discovered. What I’m going to do? I need my superman (Vijay)…please Save Me here I am.’
She phoned Vijay. ‘I mean everything that I said Vijay. I will do everything to be with you I promise you. There’s nothing I won’t do to spend my life by your side. I will never leave you. Say that you will be mine…I’m giving you my heart please take it and save room for my love in yours. It won’t hurt. I will never ever hurt you baby. Can’t you see I opened my heart? I don’t want anybody else, I want you. Save Me…I’m begging you. I never thought I would speak these words!!’
Months passed by. She was waiting, waiting on. Nothing changed.
Like every day else she went to the market very pleased to purchase a bunch of flowers… beautiful red flowers. But suddenly, on the street someone approached her and took her by the hand, guiding her into a black old car parked near them. She felt incredibly fine with her eyes blinded during the journey. She had the time to dream about what was happening and creating her own interesting story ever thought. The journey was calm. Nobody talked until a tall man started to talk with her, and this man gave her a photograph. She smiled, ‘This is where I grown up’. He answered: ‘It’s a little present for the rest of the journey’. They finally arrived at a big house, the biggest one she had ever seen. At the door was a man that she could distinguish. It was Vijay. When she approached him she started to ear her favourite song, (how she missed it), and at that moment she remembered her first kiss that she had forgotten since god knows well.
She only was capable of kissing him endlessly. He said ‘Do you want us to make things right?’ and he had the best answer he ever imagined. ‘I just want you to say you love me like I love you’. The latest words she was capable of understand were: ‘I tried to talk to you, close your eyes, hold my hand, touch me and hold me close; I want you to be my love. I will show you what I already know.’
She lived happily after all the suffering caused by her fear of living with her truly love.


Filipa Pedro.

3 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Psithurism said...

What a beautiful ending. I liked the way that in the beginning she was so confused about what to do and then in the end she knew that it was with Vijay that she was meant to be with. Great work :)

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger thewildstyle (por Filipa Correia e Catarina Dias) said...

Here it is a good story. And I feel happy that your story ended with Vijay and the narrator together. Itt makes it all just perfect. Just for the record, men are always the same.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Filipa Pedro said...

lOl thanks. Men are always the same or, I must say, almost. some men are great men. but just a few.LOOOL
about the story and the ending...I enjoyed myself doing this work, I like very much to write stories ;) particularly when it involves love and passion. the ups and downs of a romance. It's tricky but funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home